Friday, June 12, 2009

One more VERY IMPORTANT TOPIC

Some of us super wonderful ladies have brought up the very real fact that a lot of our kids (those Issac's age and under), have not had a ton of interaction together. So we tossed out the idea of some scheduled games or ice-breakers just to get the younger generation acclimated to each other, and simply to help them learn each others names. This is a FAMILY reunion, and we desperately want for all of us to spend time together and get to know each other so much better. But we also want to avoid 'over-scheduling' the weekend and wearing everyone out.

So what's the balance? How do we spend time together and get to know each other in all the age groups, and still be sure to allow for free time?

And not just the kids. As adults I know we can tend to turn the TV on, or find solace in the electronic world. I will speak for myself, as a Law lady, there is very much the tendency to 'zone-out' in front of the TV and get lost in an attempt to rest or escape for the chaos of it all! Any suggestions?

Do we want to aim for an Electronic Free weekend?

Set certain times only for TV, Gameboys, etc?

As parents you will have to determine what's good for your kids...we'd love some helpful ideas or thoughts!! Send them our way!!

Thanks.
S

7 comments:

  1. I'm all for a free electronic weekend. It is so rare for us to have this kind of concentrated time together that I hate to think of it in front of a television. We might give the children some TV time, but I would also be for limiting that, of course, the parents are better able to determine if that would be possible with their children. I'm all for helping to come up with games for the family, all ages, to play together. This could really be a lot of fun for all of us. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death and good riddance to soma/boobtube/plug-in drug for a weekend... Of course, that was easy for me to day I don't really care for it to begin with. I would also include text messaging, cellular phones, video games and pcs. Andrea please don't read this. Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron you are funny stuff!!! LOL!!! I'll tell everyone what you have suggested! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Andrew and I have been discussing some ideas for games. So, if you adults are adventuresome and willing to be child friendly, we have some fun possibilities. We have tried to limit our ideas to things that really could be fun for everybody and possible for even the little ones, in some cases with a little adult help. If anyone else wants to plan anything we are certainly happy to do so, just wanted to thing of something in case no one else had any ideas. So, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction to previous message. Next to the last line I meant to say "think" and not "thing", I think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :>) Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the goal of having an electronic free weekend is a noble one w/ some grace added in...meaning we leave that up to their respective parents nonetheless. I also think having some organized games for all the kids is a great one. I had actually thought of doing that last week but just never got to posting it. Aunt Margaret and Uncle Andy, if you need help, I'd love to help!

    ReplyDelete